Welcome to FUSE!
Let's get your new studio all set up!
Hooray! Your FUSE materials have arrived! This page has some great info to help you with the following:
- Unpacking and inventorying your boxes
- Organizing and storing the kits
- Prepping the kits for use (this one’s pretty easy)
- 3D Printer Setup
Let’s start with those kits…
Because supply chains have been impacted by the pandemic, a few items in your kits are back ordered. Those items will ship to you later this fall. We ask that you take the kits with missing items and set them aside, not making them available to your students until the missing parts arrive.
Here's a list of the kits in question, and their missing parts:
DF-5005-KIT, Design to Fly Kit
- WI-5306-10PK, Arcade Button Quick-Connect Wire Pairs, 10pk
- BU-5404-Y, Momentary Button, Panel Mount, Yellow, 16mm
JB-5006-KIT, Mini Jumbotron Kit
- LD5004-M, 16x24 Red LED Matrix Panel, 4.5" x 3.5" x 0.7"
OKAY! THAT'S ALL!
Back to the regular article!
- Unboxing and inventorying kits
First let’s unbox and inventory the kits to make sure you received everything. You can use the Innovate Bundle Inventory (which you can download at the bottom of this page) as a check list!
Once you've made sure that you have all of the boxes, you're set to go. If you like, you can use the 2020 FUSE Innovate Build Data Table excel workbook below to inventory all of the individual items in the boxes. If you find that you’re missing something please reach out to us on the #help channel on Slack or by email at email@example.com.
- Organizing and storing kits
As you can see there are a lot of kits and small pieces in FUSE. We’ve found that implementing thoughtful strategies and systems for managing these materials can really help prevent some major headaches down the line. Here are a couple of guiding principles for organizing and storing your kits:
- Kits should be easily accessible to students.
- Kits should be grouped by challenge (ex: all LED Color Lights kits together)
- Storage area should be labeled
- Materials should not be too crowded
For some more ideas on kit management check out this article.
- Prepping the kits
We try hard to make sure everything is ready to go right out of the box but there are still a few things we recommend doing to prep your kits for student use:
- Prep the How to Train Your Robot kit by removing the remote, adding batteries to the rear compartment of the robot, and constructing the box. More on this here.
- Prep Wind Commander by tying the string on to the cup and assembling the base. More on this here.
- Before you release the Just Bead It challenge, mix the chemical solutions a day before. More info can be found here.
- Setting up your 3D printers
This is way less intimidating than it sounds. In less than 20 minutes you should be running your first test print! Watch this step by step walk through from the machines creator, and reach out to FUSE if something doesn't work.